Večernica has been delighting international folkdancers in
the Bay Area for over 20 years. With our experienced musicians
and broad repertoire, we provide music from a variety of
cultures—or we can focus on a smaller set to suit your needs.
Our repertoire includes
folk-dance music from many countries and cultures, including
the British Isles, France, Austria, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe
and the Balkans (including Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechoslovakia, Greece,
Hungary, Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Russia, and Serbia), Turkey,
and Israel, along with tunes from Canada, Mexico, South America,
and the U.S.
We play regularly for several folk-dance clubs and classes in the
San Francisco peninsula area, and are also available for
dance parties, weddings, Bar Mitzvas and other occasions.
Who we are
- Dave Bogdanoff (leader; bass, guitar, percussion, vocals),
- Pete Showman (fiddle, mandolin, vocals),
- Ned Gault (autoharp, Austrian
harmonika (button accordion), vocals, percussion),
- Gary Breitbard (accordion, fiddle, vocals),
- Jena Rauti (vocals, accordion, percussion),
- Dave Barton (fiddle),
- Cindy Anderson (clarinet).
Where to Hear Us
Our schedule for Spring 2016:
- Saturday February 13, 2016: Birthday celebration
for band member Gary Breitbard, at Etz Chayim in Palo Alto.
- Friday March 18, 2016, 8 pm:
Chang’s International Folk Dancers
Location: Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church,
417 31st Ave, San Francisco (north of Golden Gate Park, between Clement and Geary;
map and directions from 19th Ave.)
- Thursday May 12, 2016: Loui Tucker’s
Saratoga international folk dance class at the St. Archangel Michael Serbian
Orthodox Church, 18870 Allendale Avenue, Saratoga. Beginner dances begin
at 7:30; we usually start about an hour later, and the dancing goes on until 10:00.
Friday June 10, 2016:
Berkeley Folk Dancers, at the
Live Oak Park Recreation Center
between Shattuck Ave. and Walnut St., near Berryman St., in Berkeley California.
Note: we won't be playing the Saturday evening folk-dance at the
June 11, 2016 San Francisco Free Folk Festival (SFFFF),
as we usually do. Maybe next year.
Groups We’ve Played For in Recent Years
- Berkeley Folk Dancers, Berkeley
Folk Dancers, San Francisco
(including their 70th and 75th anniversary parties)
- City College of San Francisco:
Folk and Ballroom Dance Concert
- Heritage Festival Folk Dance Party (usually held in January)
Loui Tucker’s international folk dance class in Saratoga
Marcel Vinokur’s former Saturday night folk dance parties in Menlo Park
The Peninsula Folk Dance Council’s monthly party
at St. Bede’s church, Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park
San Francisco Free Folk Festival (Saturday evening folk dance).
- Stanford International Dancers, Mountain View
- Statewide Gold Country Festival (California Folk Dance Federation)
- Swedish Lodge, Los Altos, CA
- Triton Museum, Santa Clara (special events)
- Various private parties, anniversaries, weddings in the Bay Area
To learn more, or arrange a performance, call Dave Bogdanoff, 650.604.6138
or Pete Showman, 408.255.0297, or email us:
Večernica means “Evening Star” in Serbo-Croation.
It’s pronounced something like “veh-CHAIR-neet-sah.”
(In Serbo-Croation, the character č (c-hachek or c-caron,
which should look like this in your browser:
is pronounced like English “ch” or “tch”,
while a plain “c” is pronounced like English “ts” or “tz”.)